Friday, August 21, 2009

sickness benefit ...


...is not what you might think it is, not in this case.

It is about looking east from the 9th floor of the North Shore Hospital window, on a cloudless spring morning.

Lake Pupuke, a green strip where Milford shake hands with Takapuna, then the sea melting into distant horizon, with misty islands competing for attention.

If you live around here, you know what I mean.

If you don't ... well, this is the stuff the dreams are made of.

That's the BENEFIT almost worth getting SICK for.

I'm not going to help you with a picture here, although it can make you feel a bit cheated.
Instead I'll take you inside the hospital room.

It is my 85-years old neighbour, who ended up here yesterday - Doreen.

A tiny Girl (I could probably lift her up with one hand), with a pretty big personality. Brave, gutsy, independent, certainly not a typical NICE old lady.

When you are 85, alone and every little task becomes a challenge, I guess your capacity for being nice gets somewhat diminished. You become a battler.

This doesn't change my admiration for Doreen, even though we have our share of arguments to our credit. And, I'm sure, we are not done yet.

But right now I left my neighbour there,on the 9th floor, equipped with her favourite Vogel bread, a jar of Marmite and those sea views to die for (excuse the punt) from her hospital window.

It doesn't get more Kiwi than that, does it?

Good on you Doreen.

Life may not always feel like your friend these days, but perhaps I can try to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment