Saturday, August 15, 2009

pencilcase




PENCILCASE is my house.


Pencils are everywhere, even in my bathroom.


Ordinary pencils, soft and hard, pastel pencils, watercolour pencils, you name it.


Brand new long things with sharp, inviting tips and humble blunt stubs approaching well deserved retirment.


Each of them is such a wonderful extension of my hand, each of them is my VOICE.





Hi, my name is Gabriella.


I'm an illustrator, suffering from an accute case of Pencilitis. In other words - I just can't stop drawing.



It's always been like that.

My school note-books were filled with little random illustrations, sharing pages with legitimate notes of a more academic nature.

It was a long time ago. But, although today there are so many new amazing tools, so many other ways to create images, a humble pencil still remains my best friend.



People - that's what fascinates me most.

It always amazes me how different we all are.

Comes to think about it, each of us is just an ensemble of four limbs and a head, all of which are held together by a pillow-like trunk in the middle.

Same goes for our head - an egg-shaped thing, fitted with eyes, nose, ears and mouth.

That's all there is to it.

Still, somehow, never in the entire history of human kind has the Nature repeated itself, by creating two identical people!



That's where I come in, with my pencil. Trying to crack this mystery of our "uniqueness", constantly wondering about those subtle differences, which make us - US.

So, I watch, stare, pay attention and ... get my pencil to work.



No comments:

Post a Comment